April 17, 2012

Zakka Style Pincushion

Here we are at Week #3
in the Zakka Style Sew Along!
If you are just tuning in,
check out the LRStitched post here.


This week's project was the one that "had me at hello" for this book!
As soon as I saw it, I knew I would be making one of my very own.
The contributor for the project is
Sonia Cantie,
and her blog of beauty is cozyhomemaking.typepad.com.
{Go and say hello!}

{Here is a photo of my pincushion next to a photo of Sonia's pincushion.}

I'm going to indulge myself and show you a BUNCH of photos 
of this tiny little project, because she was such a good little model!

I recently purchased a bit of this sweet linen print from Heather Ross's
Far Far Away III line for Kokka.
I loved it for its powdery blue background
and most especially for the little dandelions,
waiting for wishes.


Next I noticed the bits of orange and the life they introduced.
I brought out my scraps of Aviary by Joel Dewberry,
in one of the original colorways.
The broad stripe begged to come along into this project!
I featured it on the back, 
adding a covered button from another print within the same Aviary line.


Sonia's lovely example used a stamp to create a patch of goodness,
but I didn't have a stamp handy that felt right.
{Plus...I haven't stamped anything for so long that my ink had dried up!}

Instead, I made a "postage stamp" bit of applique,
zigzagging it into place.
A scrap of lace brought some frothy cuteness...


And I put this lovely wee dragonfly to use,
in a place of honor on the little applique.
Charming, yes?

{That must be why they call them "charms".}


Once it was stuffed to a squeezy plumpness,
I stitched up the opening
and admired my lovely little
Far Far Away pincushion.
{I actually admired it from close close up!}


I think it came straight out of a
seamstress's storybook.


If you love this fairy tale star, you can purchase it from




Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Your pin cushion is gorgeous. I especially love the lace and button you chose. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Love your personal touches. The stamp was a great idea!
    http://simplymissluella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pincushion is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! Love the fabrics you've used and the lace, and the patch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I thought I'd stop by and tell you how much I love your pin cushion. I know I left a comment on Flickr - but I think yours is my favorite of the bunch after seeing all the others (and they are all gorgeous!) Looking forward to seeing more of your projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just come over from drooling all over the lovely pics in the Zakka Style flickr site - your pincushion is cute, cute, cute!!! I think I need to join you happy little Zakkas!! I've bought the book via download, now I just need to start sewing:-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a sweet cushion! The dragonfly fits so well to the flowers. Off to the next project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really darling pincushion! Great job with the details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your comment on my pin cushion! Yours caught my eye when I was looking at the pictures. I love the little patch you put on, as well as the blue fabric choice! I had originally stamped a little bird on twill tape to add to mine, but the style of bird did not seem to fit the style of lace, etc. so I left it off. I also love the diaper bag you've made. Beautiful colors and fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.