November 27, 2012

Paper Snowflake Pillow - a New Free Project



This morning at our house we had a few snow flurries...
nothing major, just decorative.
:)
I just love how each snowflake is unique, 
and also very beautiful.

{Here's how they look under a microscope...photo from interestingtopics.net}


 A few weeks ago,
snowflakes inspired me to create a pillow,
and the free pattern is now available for
you to download

{Go to pellonprojects.com and choose Projects, then the Home Decor tab, to find my Paper Snowflake Pillow project.  It's free to join the site, and then you can download the PDF file.}



I may have mentioned before how much I love using Pellon 987F fusible fleece
in so many of my projects.
I literally buy it by the bolt!


The brilliant idea I came up with was to use Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece
on the OUTSIDE of the pillow,
as the main design element!



Maybe you had been waiting patiently to see the front of this pillow.


{I featured the back for my own free tutorial for making 


So now you can make your own
Paper Snowflake pillows!

I chose some aqua and red prints for my original pillow.
I love the contrast of the top fabric...both are from Joy by Kate Spain...
perfect for the background of the snowflake.

{The bottom fabric is awesome, too...will be used for a future pillow!}


Then I used some Ta Dots in Ocean by Michael Miller.

{Raise your hand if that shocks you.  Anyone???}



And for the backing, I love the snowmen from Ann Kelle's latest Christmas line, called Jingle, for Robert Kaufman.



I'm actually working on my second paper snowflake pillow right now!
I've got some Cherry Christmas for that one, by Aneela Hoey for Moda.

{I'm going to have to get a bigger Aneela Hoey box!}


I don't provide a template for the snowflake design, because...



That's the idea...no two are going to be alike!


But I promise...they will all be very pretty.


See what I mean?


I kinda went crazy with the quilting on my first one.
I liked the way it looked on the back, too...all squishy and soft!



A Snowflake Pillow can be used all winter, 
but a Christmas snow is always extra-magical.


Maybe you could partner up with a child you love,
to design and cut out the snowflake shapes.


If you do make one, or a flurry of Paper Snowflake Pillows,
I'd love to see them on my Flickr group page,



Pin It

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous and what a great way to add some soft texture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous pillow and one I will add to my must make list. Strangely I was just using that Michael Miller aqua dot fabric today and was pleased to have some spare so now I have a new use for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful cushion. And I love the suggestion of partnering up with a child - how wonderful would that be - for a child to cut trace snowflakes and then, when they have gone to bed you make up their own snowflake cushion (pillow). Then, to top it all off - you have given free PDF tutorial patterns - you are brill Amy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love this pillow!! I am definitely going to be trying this for the Christmas season. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so much love this! Thank you for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute pillow. I love that you used fusible fleece. So clever. I really love that red fabric you have lined up for the next pillow. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I absolutely love the color combination of light blue with red and dots!!! It looks so crisp like a sunny snowy day that we'll never see here in Florida LOL> I love felt, what a great medium!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.