September 24, 2013

Christmas Ticker Tape Mug Rug

Have you ever seen a pattern that just begs you to make it?
That happened to me, the moment I first saw
The Patchsmith's design for

{So many of Amanda's patterns call out to me, that I have trouble keeping up with them.}

Ticker Tape Mug Rug by The Patchsmith

this month, as I made my monthly Christmas project.
I was inspired by the red holiday version that Amanda created.
Here's my interpretation, using my Cherry Christmas bundle!


I drew a sketch for a similar mug rug in my sewing journal,
but unlike The Patchsmith,
I had never executed the idea into an actual design.
What a pleasure it was to just follow
the most excellent instructions
and wind up with THE cutest holiday mug rug ever!


Do you notice the one deviation from the pattern?
I added the big red appliqued bow to the main square,
so it would look like a Christmas present!


I was inspired by this Tiny Treasures pattern
from Pieces From My Heart,
using the little teeny Moda candy squares,
which I also have on my {long} list of
patterns that are begging to be made.

Tiny Treasures pattern by Sandy Gervais
In no time I was finished creating this festive
and functional mini quilt.
Instead of blanket stitching,
I chose to straight-stitch
along the raw edges of each block,
with a stitch length shortened one notch to a 2.0.


Perfect tension made it look
just as good on the back as the front!


All of the mug rugs I make are reversible.
I chose a favorite print from Cherry Christmas
for the backing.
Those are Santa's clothes hanging out to dry.


I love using Pellon 987F fusible fleece, 
so that the mug rug is smooth and flat.
No spilled cocoa from a lumpy surface!


found here, to finish the edges with
my favorite aqua holly print.

{Sigh...}


Wouldn't this make a lovely Christmas present?
Sorry...this one's mine to keep. 
I could be coaxed into making more, though! 


Pin It

16 comments:

  1. it is so pretty and everyone would want one in their stocking. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turquoise and red - what a stunner. And I love the fussy cutting. The bow is gorgeous. Love it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So completely darling! What is the finished size of this beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gem! YHOY! again! Can you guess my text code? That looks absolutely gorgeous and perfect stitching front and back. Love the colors and fabric so vintage Christmas. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another winner, Amy! Beautiful / adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. I like the back side as much as the front. The bow is perfect! Well done, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute and stylish mug rug.... with The Pathsmith's pattern and your fabric choices and execution ! I love the extra bow, too!
    Maybe I can use your mugrug when I come to visit!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so deliciously cute! With this change in the weather, I'm ready for a mocha and a cute mug rug like this one to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous!! Love every detail of your project... the sweetest!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous!! Love every detail of your project... the sweetest!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOOO pretty, Amy!! I totally adore your mug rug! The bow is the perfect addition. The colors, the fussy cut, everything just makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous Amy, I love your Christmas interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very lovely mat Cuz.... LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.