April 3, 2013

Sewing Notebook - Across the Pond Sew Along

Here in Pennsylvania,
the sun is finally coming out,
so I took advantage of it to show some photos
of my brand-new sewing notebook!


 

Those are my pretty white Easter tulips...
oh, look, they need some more water!

As I was saying...
this month we are making journal covers,
so I decided to create a Sewing Notebook
from a composition book.


There are so many great tutorials out there,
and you can find more links for them,
plus inspiring photos
when you visit Susie's Sunroom...


and Amanda The Patchsmith.


I was almost paralyzed with indecision...
which tutorial or pattern should I use,
and which fabrics should I pick?

I recently received a very sweet gift...a fat quarter bundle 
of Boho Girl, in blues and greens!
I had my heart set on using those for my journal cover.


Normally these cool colors are calming and soothing...
but in this case, the prints are full of movement and energizing.

{A perfect combination for a sewing journal, right?}

For my pattern,
I could no longer resist purchasing

{Within minutes of buying the PDF, I was on my way to making my cover...woo-hoo!}

Gingercake Pattern for The Notebook Slipcover, from the Gingercake Patterns and Designs website

And only about an hour or so later,
I had my first notebook cover!!!

{I made mine very simple, without the flap or button closure.}


I love the way this pattern
lets you use several coordinating prints,
so you don't have to choose just one favorite!

I made the little pockets for the interior.


The topstitching detail is easy and pretty.


Now, I must admit something about that pattern 
didn't make sense to me while I was sewing.
This morning
I decided to email Virginia {Gingercake, herself}
to ask her my question.

Near the end of the pattern,
the measurement for the seam that holds
all of the layers together
was much larger than I thought it should be,
and my little notebook had too much wiggle room.

{It was an easy fix...I just stitched it around again,
with a narrower seam, and it fit perfectly.}


Virginia got right back to me and explained
that the seam was made bigger,
so that a binder or heavier notebook
would have room for the thicker sturdy covers.

{Makes sense...I'll have to make a note of that, in my Sewing Notebook.}



And then...as I was downloading these photos from the pattern site...
I had an epiphany...I completely forgot to do that
final topstitching through all of the layers!!!
That would make it look even more tailored and professional.

{See what I mean?}


I guess I was just so excited to finish it...that I didn't finish it!

You know what that means...
I'm gonna have to make more of these!


If you make one...or more...please show us what you've created

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. EEK!!! This is GORGEOUS!! I love your fabric choices and the colors set with your tulips makes the perfect picture. I'm off to read Amanda's post now, but you and Susie made me so excited that I can't wait to get home from work to start sewing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It's gorgeous! Well done. I have another similar pattern, but I may go pick this one up, too. I really like your fabric choices. Too funny about the top stitching. Well, it still looks good! I love her examples, too! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sharp and prettty!!! After seeing your journal , and Amanda's two, I want to make more!!
    Your colors in that fabric are gorgeous!

    (I won't tell anyone that you didn't finish it yet before you posted it... it'll be our secret! heehee)

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is divine. Such pretty fabric too!! I knew you would do something elegant and sophisticated - as always - stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your corners seems nice and round. I haven't really seen that before. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journal cover is fabulous! What beautiful fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have several patterns from Gingercake and I think I'm going to have to add one more! Your journal cover came out so pretty - I love your fabric choices and your photography is just so beautiful too. I can see why you can't make just one of these!
    Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like so much your journal cover and your tulips and the photos you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Amy:

    I am thrilled to see the notebook project you made featuring my fabric, Boho Girl!! I'm the textile designer and was just searching the web looking for an image of my fabric to use for my portfolio. You made a beautiful project and I'm honored. Let's please stay in touch since I have 100s of new fabrics on the market now or will be coming soon.

    Best, Debra Valencia
    Visit my website & boutique:
    http://www.debravalencia.com
    LIKE me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/debravalenciadesign

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Amy:

    I am thrilled to see the notebook project you made featuring my fabric, Boho Girl!! I'm the textile designer and was just searching the web looking for an image of my fabric to use for my portfolio. You made a beautiful project and I'm honored. Let's please stay in touch since I have 100s of new fabrics on the market now or will be coming soon.

    Best, Debra Valencia
    Visit my website & boutique:
    http://www.debravalencia.com
    LIKE me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/debravalenciadesign

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.