November 25, 2014

Teacher's Pet Mug Rugs

One of my blog's most popular posts
has been "Be My Valentine,"
featuring heart-shaped mug rugs.


I've made a few different versions
of these ric-rac trimmed sweeties,
and they never fail to make me happy.


Here's one I made in earth tones - quite different!


When I finished making my hexagons
I had lots of nice scraps of Elementary by Sweetwater.

I patched together this little heart...
perfect for presenting to a favorite teacher.


I really enjoy the process of making these
mug rugs, edged in ric-rac.
The black looks so sharp against the fabrics in this line!


I made a matching one...
they will make great teacher's gifts.

{Whoever gives these will be an instant teacher's pet!}


The backings are pretty, too.


These mug rugs look especially great with a cup of coffee.


Oh, and a cookie really makes the difference between
a good coffee break and a great one!


I found these chocolate-coated biscuits,
and they are soooooo delicious!
Do you have these where you live?


These cookies made great props for my mug rug photos.

{I don't have them any more...not sure where they went...hmmm.}


Luckily, I've still got quite a few of those Elementary scraps.


Maybe a few more of these Teacher's Pet mug rugs will
pop out of my Elementary scrap box.
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, love the mug rugs they are very sweet........

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely little gifts - you are sure to be teacher's pet if you give these out.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy,
    The cookies are actually Speculaas cookies. They are traditionally eaten in November and December up to the fifth of December. The birthday of Saint Nicolas is celebrated on the fifth or the sixth, depending on your family tradition. The speculaas cookies, taai taai, chocolate letters and mandarin oranges are put in the childrens's shoes. The shoes are left at the fireplace in the evening. (Or underneath the central heating LOL!) Saint Nicolas and his assistant Black Peter leave the sweets when the children are asleep. On the fifth of December Saint Nicolas and Black Peter leave a bag full of gifts at the door. The fesival is seen as the origin of Santa Claus . It is celebrated in Belgium, the Netherland and Germany.
    The cookies in your picture seem to be "internationalised" with the chocolate, it is not original, BUT it must taste wonderful!!!
    Hugs,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this story of wonderful traditions - it's just so fascinating! I always loved studying customs of Christmas around the world. I hope I can enjoy these cookies even after December 5th, though...I really love them any day of the year!

      Delete
  4. Hi Amy,
    These are just too cute! Do you have a how-to for these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I based mine off of this free tutorial by Jodi Nelson of Pleasant Home. Instead of putting ricrac across the mug rug and edging it with a ruffle, I used ricrac for the decorative edging. I hope that helps!
      http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/quilting/home-decor/valentine-mug-rug-/64725

      Delete
  5. I'm one who made some of these last February! I love the 'elementary' fabric and black ric-rac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty! And yes we have this kind of cookies over here as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Amy, I can see why it is a favorite post - these are darling! It is that ric-rac trim that really kicks them over the edge!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and will read each and every one, even if I am not able to reply to all of them.